Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Solfege Singing

Everyone is quite familiar with the song Do-Re-Mi from The Sound of Music, classic movie with Julie Andrews. The use of these syllables to correspond to fixed pitches on the piano beginning on the C is called Solfege.  In English, the key signature of a piece is given in a letter name of the scale or mode; in French the Solfege is used.

Many music students from around the world who have teachers familiar with the music theory teaching strategies found in Music Mind Games may be learning another catchy tune called "Daily Do".

Here is an amazing video of children singing "Daily Do" in Syndey, Australia with Michiko Yurko creator of MMG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N7U9xqHmvk

I was wondering myself why it was part of the program to sing "Daily Do" in the lesson, and studying the structure of the piece makes it obvious.

"Daily Do" trains the ability to sing:
1. a Major triad
2. a minor triad
3. the intervals in a Major scale
4. a minor scale
5. a minor triad
and naturally relates the major scale to the relative minor scale.

Solfege singing is great for ear training, especially to learn music aurally by hearing pitches, intervals, melodies, chords and rhythms.  More advanced music skills built from knowledge of Solfege include music transcription (or copying), harmonizing and improvization, and even composition.

There are many other songs, even simple nursery songs for children that are sung to solfege and curwen hand signs. In my daughter's music class, her teacher likes to sing a song called Blue Bird, begins on Sol.

"Here comes the blue bird, in through my window.
Hey diddle dumb day day day."

Another favorite that my son likes to sing too, also beginning on Sol.

"Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy wuzzy had no hair.
Fuzzy wuzzy wasn't very, fuzzy wuzzy"


NEVER TOO EARLY TO LEARN

Even as a young toddler, barely 16 months my daughter would love to sing Do Re Mi. I would start with singing Do, and she'd just immediately follow with RAY (and a smile). Then I'd say Mi, and she'd repeat MEE, and I say Fa, VA. And of course I'd finish with Sol (she doesn't say SO, 'k that's it mom, I'm bored). But it just gets me everytime, it's so cool! Unfortunately I don't have perfect pitch myself so I'm always checking on the piano that I'm actually singing a "C". So wicked!  -My baby journal dated Aug 22 2008



No comments:

Post a Comment